Rowan Collins wrote (on 24/09/2014):
On 24/09/2014 22:33, Andrea Faulds wrote:
On 24 Sep 2014, at 22:17, Rowan Collins <rowan.coll...@gmail.com> wrote:

Perhaps rather than a magic function or constant, though, the switch statement could be extended with an "as" argument, which would store the evaluated expression into a normal variable, allowing nesting, and easier optimisation of the engine where the feature isn't used. Thus you could write this:

switch( some_expression() as $switch_value ){
  case 1:
    do_something();
  break;
  //...
  default:
    throw new Exception('Undefined input: ' . $switch_value);
    break;
}
Incredibly, some brave soul has gone back in time and already implemented this, when none of us was looking!

     switch($switch_value = some_expression()) {
     }

Heh, now I feel like a fool for not thinking of that.

Treating assigments as expressions just isn't something that jumps to mind, I guess!

Anyone have any thoughts on the use(operator) part, though?

Am I missing something equally obvious there? Or just, it doesn't interest people much as an idea?

--
Rowan Collins
[IMSoP]