On 10 Oct 2014, at 21:43, Marco Pivetta <ocram...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10 October 2014 22:39, Kris Craig <kris.cr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The call_user_func() and call_user_func_array() functions are used all over
> the place.  I see absolutely no gain, whatsoever in removing them and forcing
> developers to write their own userland variants instead.
>
> --Kris
>

> Of course they are, but that's obviously because any codebase written so far
> didn't have PHP 5.6 support :-)
> The main point here is moving forward and killing API that has no use-case
> anymore (and has to be maintained).

PHP 5.6 has been out for *less than two months*. Let’s say PHP 7 comes out in
18 months’ time, so June 2016. Even then, PHP 5.6 would have been around for
less than 20 months. It is incredibly unreasonable to suggest that application
developers should move to this new API and completely suspend usage of the
previous one in such a short timespan (especially given how few people will
have moved to 5.6 by then) for a non-security fix.

--
Andrea Faulds
http://ajf.me/