On October 14, 2014 at 11:57:26 AM, Rasmus Lerdorf (ras...@lerdorf.com) wrote:
On 10/14/2014 06:29 AM, Andrea Faulds wrote:

> On 14 Oct 2014, at 14:27, Kristopher <kristopherwil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> $_HTTP_REQUEST_BODY and $_HTTP_QUERY_STRING for nostalgia's sake.
>
> Ew, non-superglobals.
>
> But $_REQUEST_BODY and $_QUERY_STRING are a bit lengthy. Perhaps $_QUERY (for
> $_GET) and $_BODY (for $_POST)? Then the variable set finally makes sense,
> but isn’t too long:
>
> * $_QUERY - query string parameters
> * $_BODY - request body parameters
> * $_REQUEST - query string and request body parameters
>
> Makes more sense than $_GET and $_POST.
>
> Any objections?

It makes no sense to me to make $_BODY an alias for $_POST. $_POST
implies the default body encoding that a broswer performs on a POST
request. Making an alias called $_BODY that doesn't contain the body of
a request unless it is "POST"-encoded would be super confusing.

I think the pedantry level around this is rather high. Nobody is
actually confused about $_GET and $_POST and how and when to use them.
Adding vague aliases adds confusion to something that had no confusion
before.

-Rasmus

For clarity, $_BODY was revised to $_FORM.

I think there was some misunderstanding of the usage of $_GET earlier in this
thread, although I may have misunderstood someone’s wording. Regardless, if I
go out and sample 100 PHP folks, I’m fairly confident someone would make the
association that either $_GET or $_POST is bound strictly to the HTTP verb of
the same name. Adding aliases gives these vars a more semantic name while not
causing a massive BC breakage.

The documentation would be simple and not have room for misinterpretation as I
see it:

$_FORM is the exact same by-reference variable as $_POST
$_QUERY is the exact same by-reference variable as $_GET

--
Mike Dugan
m...@mjdugan.com