Zeev Suraski wrote on 22/10/2014 09:34:
If we called them something like lossless_float() - that provides developers
with the necessary heads-up that this will not use the standard conversion
rules they're familiar with.  It also gives them a good indication as to how
it may be different from those standard rules.

I actually quite like lossless_* as a naming convention for these; the distinction between intval() and to_int() strikes me as a little vague, and over-abbrev'd.