Hi list,

As I was fiddling with CSV data reading and writing I noticed that fgetcsv() is
inherently incompatible with fputcsv() when it comes to the enclosure escape
character that’s used.

Example: http://3v4l.org/LHEZj

The above example code demonstrates how, by default, fputcsv() encodes a
backslash as is but fgetcsv() will treat that same backslash as the enclosure
escape character as well as the enclosure character itself; this is rather
surprising behaviour and imho unnecessarily complicated.

I would suggest changing the behaviour in such a way that:
a) the default enclosure escape character for fgetcsv() is a double quote.
b) fgetcsv() only treats the escape character as … an escape character.

Due to the kind of change BC can’t be maintained, so I’d propose this change
for PHP 7.

If anyone has violent objections to the above, or thinks that an RFC should be
drawn up, do let me know … otherwise I’ll commit the change into master by next
week or so.

Best,
Tjerk