Hi!

> You mean something along the lines of JavaScript’s
> String.fromCharCode (or, in ES6, String.fromCodePoint)?

Yes, exactly.

> One of the nice things about that function is that it can take
> multiple codes. So I can do String.fromCodePoint(65, 66, 67) to get
> “ABC”.

Well, that is nice but if we have it for one we can always use
array_map() :) We could make it accept as many code points as we want,
of course.

> If we add that, we should also have an analogue of JavaScript’s
> String.charCodeAt/String.codePointAt to do the operation in reverse.

That'd be a bit harder since it's not clear what "at" means there -
byte? codepoint? grapheme? what about broken UTF-8 sequences? What if
you run this function on non-UTF-8 array? Etc. So this one is trickier,
the other direction is easy.

--
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@gmail.com