On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 8:52 AM, Matteo Beccati <p...@beccati.com> wrote:

> On 16/12/2014 05:07, Xinchen Hui wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 8:09 AM, Andrea Faulds <a...@ajf.me> wrote:
>>
>>> Good evening,
>>>
>>> There has been some debate about whether to make “PHP 5.7". I have made
>>> a very simple RFC. It proposes a final minor version of PHP 5, PHP 5.7, to
>>> be released at the same time as PHP 7, with no new features whatsoever.
>>>
>>>  I am wondering why we need that?  no new features....
>>
>> I think we can extend 5.6 release cycle to avoid that..
>>

> I tend to agree with Xinchen here. A new minor release just to introduce a
> few deprecation messages? It sounds like a lot of work (it also need to be
> maintained) for little gain.
>
> I think that doesn't also match the plans of other (accepted?) RFCs that
> were targeted for 5.7. I think I've seen it many times.

We already has one accepted RFC which targets 5.7, and as I mentioned
before 5.7.0 wouldn't be featureless, but would contain the small
self-contained features which are currently targeting 5.6.x.
So 5.7.0 would be a minor version without new major features, but also no
BC break, would allow us to make 5.6 more stable, and be a stepping stone
for 7.0 with the deprecated errors.

--
Ferenc Kovács
@Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu