On Dec 12, 2014, at 11:09 AM, Josh Watzman <jwatz...@fb.com> wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2014, at 11:24 PM, Stanislav Malyshev <smalys...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> the real-world code I've seen, it is the least confusing. (I'll see
>>
>> Which real-world code you are talking about? Examples please.
>
> I'm having trouble digging any up -- FB's codebase has >10k occurrences of
> this feature and I have yet to find a single one where the short circuit
> matters or not -- so maybe my recollection and intuition here are just wrong.
> I'll keep digging and thinking about this. Not convinced yet, but starting to
> feel less strongly about it.

I've moved the RFC back to draft while I think about this more. I've very
quickly summarized what turns out to be at least *three* possibilities for this
behavior in the "open issues" section of the RFC. I need to think through those
ideas more, as well as investigate implementation feasibility, to see what
makes sense, and will resubmit for further discussion once I've done that. (No
sense in deciding one particular behavior is right and it turns out to be
basically impossible to implement!)

Thanks for the comments everyone!
Josh Watzman