Hi!

> For a while I have been just stalking the bugs database[1], and I
> would love if we could some more focus on closing bugs. I'm not saying
> the job we do (my self included) is not being done well enough, but
> currently we have over 4.1k and a lot of those are old feature
> requests, or bugs going as far back as to PHP4.

We definitely need somebody triaging old bugs. The problem is it
requires a real lot of time, and is mind-numbingly boring, so not many
people do it. Many bugs are low quality - missing data, not having good
descriptions, etc. - or

> I do not have the technical experience on all subjects to close
> reports or analyze them as well for our many extensions but would love
> if we in the new year could have a similar event (maybe in user
> groups?) to analyze, test and lower that number.

Well, basic triage may be as simple as:
0) For all bugs that are older than 5.5
1) Look at the bug description. If the reproduction is not obvious from
description, put it to "feedback" with request for better reproduction.
If the submitter is no longer interested, it will be auto-closed as
no-feedback with time.
2) Try to reproduce on 5.5/5.6. If it does not reproduce on either,
close it with "not reproducible anymore, if you can reproduce on 5.6,
please reopen".
3) If it reproduces on 5.6, put it in Verified status.

This would not require anything but basic knowledge of PHP and lots of
time. If somebody wants to do it, arguably millions of people would
benefit from it - since it would make real bus more prominent, thus
making PHP devs more likely to fix them, thus improving PHP which is
used by millions :) - so it is a great way to contribute. Any takers?
--
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@gmail.com