Hey François,

> On 31 Dec 2014, at 17:50, François Laupretre <franc...@tekwire.net> wrote:
>
> "Showing 46 changed files with 193 additions and 204 deletions". I am sorry
> but I can't analyze the impacts of your change, just from the patch. Did you
> write an RFC that would explain the impact, especially for extension writers ?

Is that because of the patch’s size? 200+/- isn’t that big for a patch.

> More generally, what is the rule ? Is there a list of people who can
> introduce changes in the code, and even BC breaks in the C API, without
> writing RFCs, or is it just a question of rights/karma on the source
> repository ? I say that because it is especially hard to have a proposed
> change accepted on the mailing list, as several 'watchdogs' are there to
> dismiss ideas coming from people they don't know.

I don’t think there’s a hard and fast rule. We usually don’t worry as much
about internal API and ABI breaks as we do about userland BC breaks, and in
this case this is for a major version, so significant internal breakage is
probably acceptable.

Thanks.
--
Andrea Faulds