Hey Stas,

> On 25 Jan 2015, at 04:14, Stanislav Malyshev <smalys...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
>> going to a vote. That said, I do lean towards always strict, given
>> you can usually ensure your return type’s correct.
>
> Wait, so we would have two modes, strict and non-strict, but also in
> non-strict mode, return types still will be strict? Yay, consistency!

Yes, it would have that inconsistency, so there’s also the other possibility of
being weak for return types in weak mode.

Thing is, I haven’t seen (so far) anyone who seems to think return types should
be converted. We don’t do this for internal functions (to be fair, there’s no
need, C is statically-typed). Them being strict would follow the robustness
principle, too: “be conservative in what you send, be liberal in what you
accept”.

On the other hand, it may not be terribly fitting with “PHP’s weakly-typed
nature”.

It’s hard to say.

--
Andrea Faulds