> On 3 Feb 2015, at 14:49, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:
>
> On 03/02/15 14:03, Andrea Faulds wrote:
>> But I don’t consider 0.25MB extra to be such a problem in practice. The PHP
>> binary is already huge, and every system running PHP will have ample memory.
>
> Yes one approach is 'computers are getting faster with lots of memory'
> ... and for servers this is not a problem ...    they will more than
> likely be 64bit anyway! But for smaller embedded devices php *IS*
> becoming an option so I don't have to program in C or something else,
> and then we look to strip everything that does not need to be present.

Sure, but I don’t think we shouldn’t cripple the language merely for the sake
of really low-end embedded devices. Also, I’m not convinced that the overhead,
at least in terms of file size, is really that big of an issue.

Just for you, I’ve gone and compiled the bigint branch (with LibTomMath) and
master on my machine:

$ ls -l php7-*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 ajf  staff  6400408  3 Feb 16:39 php7-bigint
-rwxr-xr-x  1 ajf  staff  6248920  3 Feb 16:42 php7-master

The difference is a mere 151488 B, or 151 KB.

Is that really so bad?

--
Andrea Faulds
http://ajf.me/