Hi!

> I don’t think it’s unfair. There’s a limited set of permitted
> conversions in some strictly-typed languages, but it’s still
> strictly-typed.

The main problem with strict typing as it is being proposed by
strictness proponents is exactly that - there's no limited set
permitted. It leads to absurd limitations like 1 not accepted where a
float value is required, or where a boolean value is required. That's
the essential problem with this proposal - it sacrifices the frequent
use cases that make sense to nearly everybody for abstract
bondage-and-discipline notion under misguided assumption that it would
be a service to the users. In fact, if forced to use this API, people
would probably just learn to do (float) each time they call such
function, which makes them just do more work for something they could
have - and already do have, in internal functions - for free.
--
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@gmail.com