Hi everyone,

I should’ve done this a long time ago, but I’m going to hold a vote on this
RFC. The implementation isn’t finished, but the remaining work isn’t impossible
to surmount (though help would certainly be appreciated). RFCs can be put to
vote without implementations (or so says https://wiki.php.net/rfc/howto), so
the fact the implementation is unfinished isn’t necessarily a blocker.

Putting it to a vote, finally, means I can stimulate further discussion (let’s
face it, most discussion on a given RFC happens during voting), and
importantly, see how much support the RFC has in order motivate myself to
finish the implementation.

I think this would be a useful feature for PHP. It brings PHP into line with
other modern dynamic languages in having integers of arbitrary size. It makes
integer behaviour both more intuitive and more consistent across platforms. It
(finally) adds a means for handling of 64-bit (and larger) integers in 32-bit
environments. I think allowing integers to grow as needed and not having to
worry about platform-specific details is very “PHP”, as well.

So, anyway, here’s the RFC, including the voting widget:

https://wiki.php.net/rfc/bigint

Voting starts today (2015-02-15) and ends in 10 days (2015-02-25).

If you have any queries, please ask.

Thanks!

--
Andrea Faulds