On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 10:16 AM, Joe Watkins <pthre...@pthreads.org> wrote:

> Morning,
>
> I'm not sure where this conversation started ...

it's a fork from "Salar Type Hints"...

> > where in non-strict mode you still need
> > to generation runtime conversion logic. That runtime conversion logic
> > then requires the ability to hook into Zend's error handling
> > mechanism, vastly complicating the generated code (and the generating
> > code).
>
> Why do you need to generate conversion logic, why can't you call Zend API
> functions ?

Even VM just calls a conversion function.

Alternatively, possibly preferably, wouldn't a guard to tell if the
> function is being called in strict mode
> be a good idea here ?

If we know what function is called in strict mode, we must already know
where it's called from, so we should also know the types of passed
arguments, then we may eliminate checks at all (independently on
strictness). If we don't know the types we will need to check them anyway.

> If the generated code is really complicated and that sucks away the
> performance
> then why not just avoid it, and only enter machine code when a function is
> called in strict mode ?
>
> I see the assembly generated by your JIT, but it doesn't really tell us
> much, it tells us a little,
> what would be really useful is seeing your research, with the
> understanding that it is just research.
> Please think about that again.

Yeah, we will need to open it, even if it doesn't make gain for real life.
but lets make all the PHP7 related work first.
I would be glad, if later we'll combine our experience and work on JIT/AOT
together.

Thanks. Dmitry.