> On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 10:19 AM, Zeev Suraski <z...@zend.com> wrote:

This bickering already jeopardized the type hinting RFC's how many times? 3
as I recall?

Right now we need a breakthrough event - get type hints into the language
at all. The most sensible thing to do it is to add basic type hints that
work like the current conversion rules, maybe add some notices/warnings for
some cases. Or adjust the conversion rules themselves in line with the new
type hints.
Whatever type of typehints I like personally better does not matter, what
matters is what is fitting the language and is reasonable. And what leaves
improvement avenues for the future. It is better to make smaller changes,
than making a god type feature and then realizing that, if something got
messed up badly, you can't fix it, because it is already a BC issue.

I always liked the incremental nature of PHP maturing and adding features.
Just stick with it, do the typehints in increments. Be patient.

It's not like next release after 7.0 is going to take a years like before,
we have releases every year now.