Padraic,

>>> Technically, it will be harder than uniqid() if producing strictly
>>> random bytes (if output needs to be printable/readable).
>>> That's not a "bad" thing obviously!
>>
>> Sure. But does that indicate the need for a "random_string()" function?
>
> It would be more random than a stream of 0-9 integer characters, and
> probably useful compared to base64'ing a byte stream. I'm afraid to go
> survey how its done in the wild right now. Possibly?

I've done it two ways:

Bitmasks:
https://github.com/ircmaxell/RandomLib/blob/master/lib/RandomLib/Generator.php#L228

String of characters:
https://github.com/ircmaxell/random_compat/blob/master/lib/random.php#L147

I think the latter is the easiest, especially if we define constants
with "normal" char lists: "ALPHA", "ALPHA_NUMERIC", "BASE64", etc and
default to "ALPHA_NUMERIC"...

Tho I am sure there are other ways out there.

Anthony