Hi,

On 27 February 2015 at 14:26, Xinchen Hui <larue...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey:
>
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 2:22 PM, Xinchen Hui <larue...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey Internals:
> >
> >       I was looking Bob's switch optimization..
> >
> >       then I start to worry about where is the place optimization should
> goes..
> >
> >       in generally, PHP is a  interpreted language. IMO, it should
> > compiler the PHP codes to opcode without any optimization(of course,
> > we did some, but they won't change a lots of opcodes which should be
> > generated)..
> >
> >       and, since 5.5, we already have opcache bundled in..
> >
> >       thus, I am proposing a principle, that is:
> >
> >       in the future, we only do optimization in opcache side, and keep
> or maybe big optimization?  but I don't know how to define "big" or
> "small" optimizations now..
>
> (small is the optimizations, we are sure it is safe, maybe)
>
> thanks
> > Zend Compiler without any optimization... considering Zend Compiler do
> > things in -O0.
> >
> >       since, optimization always are dangerous.. if we only do them in
> > opcache, user can still run them codes with disable opcache, or at
> > least disable some optimization level which cause that..
> >
> >       what do you think?

We may need to clarify which kind of optimizations we want to set a
principle.
There are different level's optimizations.

Opcache is a opcode to opcode optimizer, but some optimizations might need
lower level
optimizations like Bob's, some might need to change base data structure.

We have AST intermediate represent structure, there might  be some AST level
optimizations,  this not opcache's job too.