On 28/02/15 06:48, Joe Watkins wrote:
>     This is just a quick note to announce my intention to ready this RFC
> for voting next week.

Since there is nothing in this which needs any changes to the core then
surly it simply needs to exist in pecl until such time as a proper
replacement for unicode in core strings has been addressed? Since it
will still require intl to provide those areas it does not support, and
I question if we really need to provide yet another encoding converter.

A unicode string handler that just handles UTF8 strings may be yet
another stepping stone, but it still falls short of beings able to
handle all of the internationalization problems and is simply an
alternate to mbstring so one either runs both, or sit down and convert
all the third party libraries to eliminate mbstring.

Like http extension, it's not essential that it's loaded by default, and
leaving it in pecl allows development outside that of the core?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL