Pavel_Kouřil wrote:

> - It is a "setting" that changes the language's behavior; I don't
> think that it matters whether or not it would be an INI setting or the
> declare() one, because both of them are bad.
>
> It allows people who want strict typing to declare it on a per-PHP-file
basis. An INI setting cannot offer this guarantee. This is required if weak
and strict are to be both supported.

> - It does not "unite different usages of PHP into a single group"; it
> does exactly the opposite, splitting PHP usage into TWO groups.
>
> It also allows the two groups to work together rather than forking PHP
into separate languages: PHPstrict and PHPweak.

> - Once this dual mode would be introduced to PHP, there would probably
> be no way of removing it later without massive BC break, once most
> people would realize that it is really awful to have it in the
> language.
>
> What is "really awful" about this? Moving forward, everything could move
towards strict typing. I could see PHP 8 or 9 having strict be the default,
if everyone wanted that. And then the declare() being deprecated and
removed as major versions increase.

Scott