On 16/03/15 08:51, Marco Pivetta wrote:
> On 16 March 2015 at 08:48, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> > The problem here is simply that just what error's are enabled and
>> > disabled is getting more difficult to decide? If when moving from a
>> > currently clean environment which has every error displayed and only
>> > shows something when any problem arises then moving to a new major
>> > version do we have to switch everything off again since all types of
>> > errors will now be thrown by the previously clean code.
>> >
>> > This is the problem currently in the PHP5.2->5.4 dilema. Yes you can
>> > switch errors off and the code runs, but then how do you address the
>> > problems. Added to which something hidden by E_DEPECATED in 5.3 is now
>> > no longer available in 5.4, but the code is still 5.2.
>> >
> We are talking about codebases with strict no-notice and no-warning
> policies.
>
> Disabling error reporting is not going to cut it here, as we all test our
> stuff with E_ALL.

Exactly my point!

But getting millions of lines of existing code TO that state requires a
little time, especially when the goal posts keep moving. Which is why
I've set the goal posts at 5.4 at the moment. The 5.2/3 stuff is finally
starting to get there, but I can't switch off the 5.2 services yet :(
Then I need the PHP5.4 base to run on the PHP7 without a problem ...
just how much time that will take is unknown as yet, so being able to
switch off errors that are non-urgent to fix is a useful tool, otherwise
why have different types of error at all? But this is why PHP5.7 might
have been a sensible stepping stone in the battle to GET a clean code base.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL