On 16 March 2015 at 23:37, Dan Ackroyd <dan...@basereality.com> wrote:

> In particular the keywords 'Resource' and 'mixed' seem to have limited
> need to be reserved. I don't believe there has been any suggestion
> that either of these would actually be used as types for PHP 7.x. So
> making them be unusable seems to be a large BC hit for no gain for
> people who currently have classes that use them

I agree, mixed seems to serve no purpose (just don't hint the parameter,
same result). Resource is something we're hopefully going to phase out over
time as they get replaced with objects (like Nikita already did with GMP,
and hopefully will happen to streams some time between now and 7.1 :)).

It's possible that people are voting yes to reserve these two words,
> without fully considering whether they should be reserved or not. I
> can see that all of 'object', 'scalar', and 'numeric' have been
> proposed as part of future improvements to PHP's type system.

I don't really like scalar or numeric (but I'm in the strict types camp and
I think if union types ever make it in, they should be user definable).

Object makes sense to me though, apart from resource it's the only one that
represents a single underlying type.