Hi Christoph,

Please note also that there is a number of README files in the php-src dir,
like this one http://git.php.net/?p=php-src.git;a=blob;f=README.GIT-RULES . In
general, if you fix a bug and it's worth it to mention, you just push a patch
and add note into the NEWS. If in doubt, better to ask the RM whether the patch
is ok for that particular branch, of course.

Pushing to the 5.4 branch is another story as only security fixes go in there,
so it has to be cleared out explicitly. The same will apply to any other branch
in security mode later, fe 5.5 which active development period ends soon. Also
as far as I see, the patch from the ticket you link was not merged up as in
accordance to the git workflow.

The NEWS file has to be updated in all the active branches but master, usually.
Otherwise, if a fix in master only - so only NEWS in master. As we now have no
explicit PHP-7.0 branch, NEWS should be updated in master as well until PHP-5.4
is EOL.

Regards

Anatol