On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 11:31 PM, Levi Morrison <le...@php.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 3:47 PM, Jakub Kubíček <kelerest...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> What is the benefit changing it? XHTML is a standard which is alive.
>>
>> That's on every person's opinion. XHTML is currently not a standard,
>> XHTML is dead.
>>
>>> But, there's for sure some code based on parsing the phpinfo() output,
>>> since not everything is exported as a constant. IMHO having HTML5 in
>>> phpinfo(), while being nice, doesn't justify itself breaking those codes.
>>
>> Okay, that could be an argument. So I will rather focus on replacing
>> just these completely legacy things like <a name> or <font> etc. (plus
>> inline styles to make the HTML code more readable and
>> self-explainable).
>>
>> I would argue that software can be updated, but... okay, let it be.
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Kubo2, Jakub Kubíček
>>
>> --

(Sorry for previous blank email)

XHTML is preferable to HTML for many people because tools for XML are
stable and mature. Even HTML 5 is permitted to be serialized as XHTML
(meaning you close tags that do not technically need to be closed, you
self-close certain tags, etc). If we move to HTML 5 there is definite
value to making sure it is XHTML compatible.