On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 10:05 PM Dor Tchizik <d...@tchizik.com> wrote:

> I already have. iojs (and soon, nodejs), as well as Rust which was
> mentioned by someone else.
>
> On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 11:04 PM Stig Bakken <s...@stigbakken.com> wrote:
>

>> Are you being serious? Can you provide examples of projects that have
>> successfully replaced their developer mailing lists with GitHub issues?

The problems you refer to are fairly minor IMHO (searching archives,
finding the mailing list). Any developer worth his or her salt should be
able to figure that out.

But seriously: the core of your concerns are fixable with a proper mailing
list archive search engine.

Why do you think the PHP project has a full archive of all of the community
discussions back to the nineties? It's certainly not because we went all-in
with SourceForge back in its glory days. Rather, it's because we stuck with
open standards and mediums; good simple old email.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a happy paying GitHub customer, but it's not the
right tool for the job of community discussions at large, IMHO.

Now, if you started to talk about the RFC process or even PHP's bugtracker,
at least the solutions provided by GitHub would be in the right domain, but
that's a completely different topic.

 - Stig