Hi Christoph

> Hi!
>
> In bug #70029 it has been reported that DOMElement::nodeValue currently
> does not conform to the W3C specs.  Instead of NULL, it returns the
> ::textContent.
>
> I had committed the patch for master only, to avoid the undesirable BC
> break for PHP 5.6, but there have been concerns that the BC break might
> even be to severe for PHP 7.0.
>
> Therefore I'm bringing this issue to the list.  Is it okay to fix the
> behavior for PHP 7.0?  Shall we wait until 7.1?  Does that require an RFC?

Small self contained things like this should not in my book at least
require an RFC, that is way overkill.

For 7.0, it is just fine, although I'm a little concerned over some of
the fixes like this after we have reached RC, and would prefer at
least we go to the ML before committing or similar (I'm on the run a
lot, so mails is the only ressource for me to keep myself up to date
quickly).

As for 5.6, that is up to Ferenc if he finds it suitable to include.
But I do think that breaking BC for this, even though its a fix, is
not a good idea in a patch release.

--
regards,

Kalle Sommer Nielsen