On Tue, 2015-09-29 at 11:29 -0700, Sara Golemon wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 10:30 PM, Pierre Joye <pierre....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This model totally failed for us in the past. And given that these keywords
> > will be used for anything related to async APIs, let reserve them and put
> > our users on the safe side already.
> >
> Like that time we reserved `use` way before namespaces made it into
> the language?

Just for history:

Actually we didn't reserve "use" on purpose. In commit 5463dd5b in
November 1999 Andi implemented a "use" feature which worked like
require_once, which was introduced later. The feature was removed but
unused "use" was kept by accident. In 5.3 we decided to use this unused
keyword instead of adding a new keyword.
https://github.com/php/php-src/commit/5463dd5b387298a84736e590e5d213f5bafe9435

We never purposely introduced a keyword. Only comparable thing was
backporting a the b"" prefix for binary strings from meanwhile abandoned
PHP 6 to 5.2(?).for forward compatibility. That has proven to be
useless.

Again an indication not to add async/wait keywords *now* as
placeholder. :-)

johannes