On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 11:55 PM, Levi Morrison <le...@php.net> wrote:

> Reading over the list I don't think people "are torn about" it. There
> are some detractors, sure, but there seem to be more detractors about
> symbol choice (~) and lack of type declarations.

Personally, I feel that without the auto import, the feature would be
totally useless. But yes, more people are not happy with the ~ choice.

> I disagree that `(int $x) => $x * 2` is vastly better than `fn (int
> $x) => $x * 2`. It *might* be better but so much better we should
> introduce backtracking into it? In my opinion that is very clear: no.
> Especially because this also makes it harder to write other tools for
> PHP.

The issue I have with the fn() prefix is that it looks "weird" in case
you are chaining multiples. And it looks like a function call, but it
isn't one.

fn($x) => fn($y) => fn($z)

How does hack solve this? Do they have backtracking in their parser?