Just my own opinion, but I support this idea.  For most functions it may be
out of place, but when dealing with variadic functions it can add
consistency to code.  In addition it can make for cleaner diffs when
overriding or switching back to default arguments.  It is nice to not need
to adjust other lines of code when removing one.  Those are pretty minor
gains, but I think they outweigh the minor code cruft that this could
introduce.

I appreciate that php allows trailing commas in arrays and I don't think
there's a compelling reason to avoid making functions consistent with that
behavior.

-alex