Hi Rowan,

Rowan Collins wrote:
But why "invent" (as far as PHP is concerned) this new keyword of "void"
to mean exactly the same thing "null" already means - absence of a
definite value?

They don't mean exactly the same thing. null is a value to represent a lack of a value. But there's also the concept of *no value at all* (a missing variable, say). The closest we have to that in PHP already would actually be `unset`, but that's a strange choice given it's not what we use in documentation (function prototypes, PHP manual, PHPDoc, etc. use `void`), and it's tainted by the bizarro `(unset)` cast which casts to null.

Thanks.

--
Andrea Faulds
http://ajf.me/