On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 1:09 AM, Derick Rethans <der...@php.net> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Thu, 31 Dec 2015, Nikita Popov wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 8:55 PM, Derick Rethans <der...@php.net> wrote:
> >
> > > While investigating an issue with Xdebug and fast_call/fast_ret, I
> > > noticed that the opcodes "associated" with the "finally" statement, are
> > > rolled up in the previous line.
>
> <snip>
>
> > > The FAST_CALL/JMP instructions should really be linked to line 10.
> > > Not doing so produces confusing results while doing code coverage,
> > > where it now shows that the "echo catch2\n" on line 9 is executed.
> > > This is of course not the case, but the linking of FAST_CALL and JMP
> > > to line 9 makes it look like this. Is it possible to change this so
> > > thta the FAST_CALL and JMP are linked to line 10 instead?
> > >

> > Yeah, you're right. Should be fixed with
> >
> https://github.com/php/php-src/commit/b3afeeabefc4777ec4797a7e2c3688e9e20be4cc
> > .
>
> Thanks — I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Did you merge that to 7.0 too?
>
> > > And secondly, I am struggeling with where FAST_CALL and FAST_RET can
> > > jump to. Right now, I have:
> > >

> https://github.com/derickr/vld/commit/9cf01bba0a1aeef6a261c6c85b238552215a9f0b#diff-286f7620179e1ee0a20e81523d91ff24R1036
> > >
> > > +#if PHP_VERSION_ID >= 50500
> > > +       } else if (opcode.opcode == ZEND_FAST_CALL) {
> > > +#if PHP_VERSION_ID >= 70000
> > > +               *jmp1 = VLD_ZNODE_JMP_LINE(opcode.op1, position,
> base_address);
> > > +#else
> > > +               *jmp1 = ((long) VLD_ZNODE_ELEM(opcode.op1, jmp_addr) -
> (long) base_address) / sizeof(zend_op);
> > > +#endif
> > > +               if (opcode.extended_value) {
> > > +                       *jmp2 = VLD_ZNODE_ELEM(opcode.op2, opline_num);
> > > +               }
> > > +               return 1;
> > > +       } else if (opcode.opcode == ZEND_FAST_RET) {
> > > +               *jmp1 = position + 1;
> > > +               if (opcode.extended_value) {
> > > +                       *jmp2 = VLD_ZNODE_ELEM(opcode.op2, opline_num);
> > > +               }
> > > +               return 1;
> > > +#endif
> > >
> > > Which seems to work, although I am unsure about the "+ 1" for FAST_RET.
> > >

> > For PHP 7 only: FAST_CALL always jumps to op1. op2 is not a jmp addr,
> it's
> > a try_catch_array offset. For FAST_RET there are no jump addresses
> encoded
> > in the opline. It will either jump back to one past the invoking
> FAST_CALL
> > (of which there may be multiple), or (if finally is executed due to an
> > uncaught exception) it will jump back to the next applicable catch or
> > finally or leave the function.
>
> Hmm, that's more complicated than I thought. How would I fix that code?
> (PR welcome :D )

I don't know what you need this for, but maybe you can use the same "good
enough" approximation we use for our internal control flow analysis, namely
simply say that FAST_CALL either jumps to op1 or to the next instruction,
while FAST_RET is treated as a terminator instruction (like RETURN). This
does not accurately model control flow, but it may be sufficient for your
purposes.

Nikita