On Wed, 13 Jan 2016, Zeev Suraski wrote:

> From: Bob Weinand [mailto:bobw...@hotmail.com]
> >
> > no votes should be meaning  "I want as less as possible support".
> > Counting it that way would make it up for a tie and us choosing the most
> > restrictive schedule as a result.
> > (Interpreting it like "you need 50%+1 of the total to get it extended so
> > far".)
> >
> > Hence Security Support until Dec 31 2017.
>
> The way the RFC the choices are going to be interpreted was presented ahead
> of time, was available throughout the entire discussion period, and very
> clearly so:
> "In case the majority chooses to extend the lifetime of PHP 5.6 (>50%) - then
> the option garnering more votes between the two proposed timelines would win."
>
> I'm not sure what the situation would have been had we truly had a 23/23
> split, probably a revote or an extended voting period, but the current
> situation is very well defined under the RFC terms.

Not that I particularly care about this outcome, but there were only
"42" Yes votes, and "2" No votes. As the voting says for the second part
"ONLY IF YOU CHOSE 'YES' ABOVE: ", there should only be 42 votes in the
second part, and not 44 like there are now (21+23)... so there is
something wonky.

I would recommend, not to do split votes like this anymore. It's just
too confusing IMO.

cheers,
Derick