Hi Bishop,

Bishop Bettini wrote:
On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 9:32 PM, Andrea Faulds <a...@ajf.me> wrote:

Hi everyone,

Here's an RFC that would extend the syntax of list() to be more useful
with associative arrays:

https://wiki.php.net/rfc/list_keys

Please read it and tell me your thoughts.

Nice, Andrea, thanks! Destructuring is quite handy.

I wonder if there is opportunity to include array gathering. Something
along the lines of:

list ('foo' => $foo, ...$rest) = [ 'foo' => 1, 'bar' => 2, 'baz' => 3];
assert $foo === 1;
assert $rest === [ 'bar' => 2, 'baz' => 3];

What do you think?

That might be useful, and it's certainly intuitive. In languages with linked lists like Haskell, you can pattern-match the rest of a list, so there's a precedent. Though with linked lists it's an O(1) operation, while this is O(n).

I don't think that should go into this RFC specifically, though, but it could be a future enhancement.

Thanks!
--
Andrea Faulds
https://ajf.me/