The bottom line is that the only requisite for contributors is
professionalism. People should keep non-work related issues to themselves
inside the workplace, as well as they should be respectful to each other no
matter what.

However, if someone is professional and has never posted off-topic opinions
or discriminated someone in the workplace (or within the boundaries of the
project, github, mailing lists, forums, etc), the project mantainers have
no business snooping through their personal social accounts to see if they
are against gay marriage.

Also, 'offensive' is always subjective. On a more moderate example,
supporting Edward Snowden might be offensive to someone who lost a child in
a terrorist attack and that thinks the government has the right to protect
the people by using any means necessary.