All,

I've decided to withdraw the CoC RFC. There are many reasons for it,
but there are a few points I want to make.

As to the content of the RFC, when I initially proposed it, I selected
the Contributor Covenant due to it being a well adopted standard.
Several people raised objections to it, and I was completely open to
changing it. But the more objections I see, the more I feel the nature
of the objections actually justifies the Covenant as the choice rather
than justifies switching it. The more I hear people complain about the
"scope of applicability" being outside the project, the more it's
apparent that many (not all, but many) simply don't want to need to
think about their actions in other contexts. Some will claim that
ambiguity will lead to abuse, but the underlying idea is "treat people
with respect". And as long as you do that, all will be fine.

And while several would rather see a CoC that focuses on "positive
behavior", to me that's not what a CoC is for. The CoC is to take a
stand and say "this is what we will not tolerate". Positive behavior
should be encourage in another "Contributing" document. Where you
detail how people should contribute. The CoC is a mechanism for people
to feel safe. And safety is achieved by taking a stand.

As far as voting on just the CoC without a private reporting mechanism
(which implies some degree of "teeth"), I've made it clear that I
don't believe that's tenable. I believe that asking people to go
public with every incident defeats the entire point of having a CoC.

I am also not happy with the RFC in its current state (I've been clear
about that since day one). But I also have no further energy to evolve
it further. Hence, there is nothing left for me to do but withdraw it.

Thanks

Anthony