Hi,
I want to propose a new PHP array method, called has_numeric_keys (or
something similar/better), that would have the following method signature:

bool has_numeric_keys(array $array)

The reason for it is to check if the array passed to it only had numeric
keys.

Why this method, when you could do it in userland PHP? Answer? Convenience.
I found, recently, that I had to perform this kind of check, when patching
Zend\Db\Sql\Insert.php. The approach I took was this:

return array_keys($arr) !== range(0, count($arr) - 1);

Not sure of my approach, I took to Twitter and received the following
suggestions, amongst others:

function isArrNum($arr) {
   foreach($arr as $i =>$v){
     if (!is_int($i)) {
       return false;
     }
   }
   return true;
}

count(array_filter(array_keys($array), 'is_string')) > 0

array_filter([...], 'is_int', ARRAY_FILTER_USE_KEY)

This convinced me that it wasn't just me seeing a valid use case for it,
and that others have implemented differing solutions when presented with
the same situation. Given that, I believe a simple, utility, function such
as this would be of help.

As for who would implement it, that would be me.
I like it. Would like to see it be a bit more generic though, something like (ignore the name, I can't name functions):

array_validate_keys($array, is_int);

I say this because it allows for more potential uses (that and I've done exactly the same to check all keys are strings before).

- Matt.