Hi!

> I do have a general question about these types of changes: if the
> deprecation were to land in 7.1, when would the actual removal take place -
> 7.2 or 8.0? Or would that be a voting option?

It would have to be done in 8.0, since removing it would constitute a BC break.

It's worth noting that there were better reasons for deprecating PHP 4-style
constructors over the simple redundancy argument. Specifically, there was
confusion as to when a PHP 4-style constructor would actually be
considered a constructor (see the RFC [1] for examples). With the var
keyword, there's no ambiguity like this.

Whilst the language purist in me would like to remove redundant things like
this, I feel that it's a rather unnecessary BC break to introduce. So I'm not
entirely decided on this.

Thanks,
Tom

[1]: https://wiki.php.net/rfc/remove_php4_constructors