Hi Bogdan, all,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andone, Bogdan"
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Andone, Bogdan [mailto:bogdan.and...@intel.com]
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2016 11:58 AM
To: 'Nikita Popov' <nikita....@gmail.com>
Cc: internals@lists.php.net
Subject: RE: [PHP-DEV] Lazy keys comparison during hash lookups

I worked a little bit of adapting the zend string allocation functions for ensuring long size alignment for both Zend and standard allocation, and for zeroing out
the end of the strings.
The sad surprise was to discover that there are other >100 situations, in
extensions mainly, where the zend strings are truncated by directly inserting '0' terminators in the middle of strings; all these situations needs to be revised for
zeroing out the entire memory word enclosing the end of the string.
It will probably take a while for revising most of these places before having a
correct real life run for being able to validate the POC.
Optimistically speaking, supposing POC will show motivating results, we will probably need to enforce the Zend interface with respect to string truncation - at least a getter/setter pair for ZSTR_LEN where the setter should ensure also
synchronizing the string termination.
I suppose it will be an important effort for the community and I am not sure how much willingness will be in it. On the other side, the originally proposed solution does not have all this drawbacks and it offers 1% speedup by a localized change which could be easily reverted in the case we will get better results by a better
string alignment in future.

Thanks,
Bogdan
I finalized the POC for ensuring strings granularity to zend_long size; you can find it here: https://gist.github.com/bogdanandone/cfde764f64137b57ce2a6f4a9b52e757 Unfortunately, the effort to zero-out the end of strings generates an overhead higher than the gain incurred by simplified zend_memcpy_aligned memcpy() & memcmp() implementations - I defined a simpler zend_memcpy_aligned() function used in zend_string.h and zend_ulong_memeq() used in zend_hash.c inherited from my original place. Overall I see ~1% loss on Worpress on my platform. I didn't spend time in fine tuning each place needing changes but I don't expect a real difference. Probably this is not the way to go and I finalize with a last buzz for the original patch proposal :)

I thought, "Oh crap" when I saw your message, after you went to all that trouble! I think there's a simple way to check the trailing bytes, but I thought Valgrind would complain about it. However, just about 18 hours before your mail, I found out that's not the case, so it seems fine. :-O I'll come back to this last...

First, I wanted to thank you for the original idea -- because that led me to look into PHP 7 hash stuff because I thought I wasn't familiar with enough of it. Turned out I knew more than I realized, but I hope now my knowledge is much more thorough... Just because of your e-mail. :^)

At first, I thought of, "Hey, SSE compares!" (starting with length, into the string, at once). Ignoring even more alignment/trailing issues, I tested standalone (using 16-1xx chars, Haswell). But _mm_empeq_epi8 + _mm_movemask_epi8 were exactly the same as 64-bit scalar (don't think I tried ints/-m32). The pmovmskb latency I guess kills any gain from checking 16-at-a-time.

I guess for longer strings, could do 32 (64?) byte chunks, with 2 (4?) cmpeq's + por + movemask to get closer to what memcmp() would do...?

Yeah, checking memcmp() standalone, the call overhead is high for common, short strings. I'm guessing that's where most of the 1% came from?

Then, after learning about some other hash stuff, I came up with some ideas for a *new* HashTable implementation in PHP! :^) I hope to start and have a working version shortly (see how that works, before further improvements). I think I'll send a new message about it first (I don't think anyone else is planning any major changes, though).

Now, about your original "lazy" idea, specifically changing the hash function to xor the trailing bytes with the hash value. I think there's a major problem: Consider a "specially" (easily!) crafted string where the trailing bytes can clear/set almost all hash bits. So almost the entire hash value can be set by those trailing bytes. :-O This may not be a problem if using a seeded hash function; not sure.

Finally, the [branchless] way to check trailing bytes instead? A few weeks ago, I thought of using xor to compare, then shift out the unwanted bytes (left/right for little/big endian, I guess). But Valgrind will complain about about the uninitialized parts, I thought. Until I came across some info. [1] Sat. night suggesting that Valgrind tracks values on a *bit* level. So I had to try it, outside of PHP, and it worked fine!

[1] https://www.usenix.org/legacy/publications/library/proceedings/usenix05/tech/general/full_papers/seward/seward_html/usenix2005.html

Here's what I thought, which could even be run uncondtionally, without checking for trailing bytes, since there's always another long-sized chunk:

mov (str1), %r
xor (str2), %r
and $7, %ecx    # % 8
shl $3, %ecx    # * 8
xor %any, %any  # clear flags, for free, in case %cl is 0
shl %cl, %r
jne ...

Should only cost the latency of the variable shift (slower than AMD :-P).

But the compilers aren't smart enough (?) to use the shift result for the jump, and put an extra "test %r, %r." Well it will probably fuse with the jump, so no extra micro-ops anyway. :-)

And my "ideal" instructions cause false errors with Valgrind anyway, when the shift moves uninitialized bits to the carry flag. (%eflags is tracked as a whole.) Adding a free "clear carry" doesn't help...

So I guess a check for trailing bytes is needed in C. But same idea, with the full background. ;-)

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Bogdan

- Matt