Hi internals,

PHP 7 leverages a lot the performance internally and many PHP applications
in the wild. Much of these improvement came by experimentation through
PHPNG and the usage of efficient data structures internally. This idea of
performance improvements are crucial to handle more requests, reduce server
overload, etc.

However, what lacks in PHP is the exposure of more efficient, use case
specific data structures, that could allow end users to easily improve
performance of their applications, instead of using a general,
multi-purpose data structure that we have as "array".

Based on that (please keep in mind I haven't spoken with library author),
I'd like assess the receptability of incorporating php-ds library into core.

Library author wrote a good (and lengthy) article explaining his motivation
and performance benchmarks around it. Here are the related links:

Article:
https://medium.com/@rtheunissen/efficient-data-structures-for-php-7-9dda7af674cd
Extension: https://github.com/php-ds/extension
Polyfill: https://github.com/php-ds/polyfill