How big of a deal will this be come 7.2? or 8.0?

A few projects will break on 7.1 regardless of whether the question
mark is prepended or not, as has already been discussed in previous
threads. The key is as Nikita has pointed out that if we don't prepend
it this method is basically useless and must be deprecated. Whereas if
we do prepend it then it works as it supposed to and is distinct from
getName().