Otherwise - it's a simple majority (>50%, or even just the option that got
> the most votes in case of a 3-way or 4-way vote).

There are better options for choices of 3 or more than the most votes
system and I strongly recommend that they be used.  Allow me to present an
example.

Suppose we needed to include new functionality in PHP, and there where
three libraries available to provide it.  A is the oldest and most mature
but hasn't been maintained in awhile. B is a less stable fork but has more
active maintenance.  A & B have the same API.  C is the newest cutting edge
version, but has a different API.

A vote is held.  32% for A, 31% B and 37% for C.  C wins in this scenario
because the majority was split across the two similar choices A & B.  If
ranked choice ballots were used in this scenario B would be eliminated on
the first round and the second choices of those ballots would be examined
with an end result of 58% for A, 42% for C, meaning most of the supporters
of B would settle for A but didn't really like C.

A lot of the bad blood in American politics can be directly linked to this
problem - splitting a majority in 3 or more way races. Political parties
arose specifically to prevent this splitting, but its a case that the cure
is worse than the disease.  I don't think PHP is in any danger of devolving
into this sort of acrimony, but it's still worth avoiding the problem
entirely with ranked choice balloting where appropriate.