From: Andrea Faulds <a...@ajf.me>
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2017 1:39:56 AM
To: internals@lists.php.net
Subject: [PHP-DEV] Re: Change in type-hint representation

Hey Dmitry,

Dmitry Stogov wrote:
> I propose to introduce a unified type representation (zend_type).
>
> Now it's going to be used for typing of arguments and return values.
>
> Later we should use it for properties and other things.
>

> https://gist.github.com/dstogov/1b25079856afccf0d69f77d499cb0ab1

I like this proposal, particularly how it's more compact than our
existing representation.

One comment: it appears that these zend_type values can encode both
pointers to strings (class names) and pointers to class entries, right?
How do you know whether a given zend_type value is one or the other?
Should you just know from context? (It looks like ZEND_TYPE_CE() is in
fact unused right now…)

On a related note, look at this portion of the diff:

+                       if (ZEND_TYPE_IS_SET(info->type)) {
+                               if (ZEND_TYPE_IS_CLASS(info->type)) {
+                                       const char *type_name = (const
char*)info->type;

Is this a type confusion between zend_string* and const char*?

Thanks!

--
Andrea Faulds
https://ajf.me/