On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 6:20 AM, Anatol Belski <a...@php.net> wrote:
> Thanks for this additional check. My action was actually based on the comment
> with the patch link, looks like the situation has now changed a bit. We're
> still quite limited in choice in this case. For one, there's a low security
> impact, however the fix uncovered several inconsistent places breaching apps.
> For what it matters, there are already 2-3 dups regarding mysqli and stream
> client regressions. Given they come so short in time, that's not a good sign.
> Though, the reports still came late enough, that an appropriate fix could not
> be done  before the next RC.

The fact that there are dups tells me that, despite the fact that
bab0b99f3 made into 7.0.18/7.1.4 releases, we should fully revert the
hard error (leaving a soft warning behind).  The security implications
of the original fix are fairly minor* compared to the much larger
regression of actually breaking sites which otherwise worked before.

> In the end, after evaluating the situation, I would still suggest to keep
> your follow up fix as a temporary solution in the next release. This way at
> least one issue is fixed, the stream client, while the initial patch is a bit
> slackened. A better fix can be worked out till the follow up release, also
> targeting the mysqli regression which still persists. This way, one
> regression is fixed, the initial patch is weakened a bit but as the impact
> was low - it's something one can temporarily live with, and a good solution
> were to expect in the next possible future. An alternative were to revert the
> hotfix in the final and keep the regressions.

Given that there *is* a release with bab0b99f3 in it, I suppose we're
already regressed and a little clowny looking.  7.0 is your branch, so
if you're cool with some uses still being slightly borky, then so am
I.  I'll do up some diffs for 7.0.20/7.1.6 to downgrade the hard
errors to warnings (keep it hard error for 7.2.0) and address issues
like the mysqli_connect implicit port duplication.

-Sara