On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 2:35 AM, Johannes Schlüter <johan...@schlueters.de>
wrote:

> On Mi, 2017-05-17 at 23:30 +0200, Marco Pivetta wrote:
> > Is Sebastian copied in here? Why can't we just use the super-battle-
> > tested
> > PHPUnit? It supports phpt and a ton of plugins, plus everyone uses it
> > and
> > is familiar with it.
>
> PHPUnit is huge. run-tests is a small script in a single file which I
> can quickly edit. For PHPUnit I have multiple files and need tooling to
> phar them up.

You don't need to phar them up - just run a typical composer installation,
like everyone else, and like every PHP package running CI on
travis-ci/circle-ci/continuous-php ever built in the last 5 years.
At this point, composer and phpunit are such big players that breaking them
or breaking PHP makes no difference at all for the user-base.

> PHPUnit (according to it's website) also has more dependencies (DOM and
> JSON) which are not included in --disable-all. used

Ah yes, that is indeed a problem. I think these deps are used in some
assertions only, so it may be possible to drop them if the assertions are
segregated somewhere else.

I'm not sure if PHPUnit meanwhile supports redirect tests as in PDO.

Unsure - got a link to those?

> Is there a performance comparison? - make test runs for a loooong time.
> A difference might have an impact. (both ways round ;) )

PHPUnit has plugins to parallelize and aggregate results too - the point of
using a battle-tested and commonly used solution is precisely the benefits
you get from community support.

Marco Pivetta

http://twitter.com/Ocramius

http://ocramius.github.com/