On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 3:55 AM, Sara Golemon <poll...@php.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 12:48 PM, Nikita Popov <nikita....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > What's out current state regarding ABI? I've recently done some work on
> > making mbstring slightly less abysmally slow, but landed the changes on
> > master only, because this included ABI breaks in mbfl/mbstring APIs and
> > globals. Is this something I can land in PHP-7.2, or is it closed to
> > extension ABI changes?
> >
> During beta I'm willing to tolerate some ABI breaks for high-value
> things, but while mbstring performance is inarguably a good thing,
> stability is an even better thing.  Anatol mentioned concern about
> stability, ergo I'm inclined to defer these improvements till 7.3.
>
> -Sara

What Anatol is probably referring to here is that next to the performance
improvements, the mbstring extension has also been migrated to use size_t
instead of int lengths. This is something we originally overlooked during
the size_t port in PHP 7. This is a major change and its easy to overlook
something, so the concern for stability is well justified. Conversely, this
does also fix a range of length overflow related bugs (I have manually
verified this on a sample of related bug reports).

Nikita