On 18.09.2017 at 11:40, Tony Marston wrote:

> I have already acknowledged that the same word can have a different
> meaning in a different context, so the word "china" has a different
> meaning in "I am going to China" and "this is made from china". However,
> in the same context changes in case are irrelevant:
>
> "I AM GOING TO CHINA" is the same as "i am going to china".
> "THIS IS MADE FROM CHINA" is the same as "this is made from china".

The same written (and this is what we're talking about; pronunciation is
irrelevant here) English word can have different meaning in the same
context, too.  One may say "This is nice!" (to show appreciation) and
"This is Nice!" (to refer to the city).  Also many professions which are
also common names have the same issue ("This is the miller" vs. "This is
the Miller").  You may recognize the common pattern, namely that proper
names are capitalized in English.  In German, and likely some other
languages as well, all nouns are capitalized, so there are obviously
many more such cases.

However, that does not necessarily mean that I prefer case-sensivity
over case-insensivity, but it would indeed greatly simplify the
implementation, since case-folding is a rather complex issue.  For
instance, the German lower-case letter "ß" is traditionally written as
"SS" in upper-case.  So if I would define('STRASSE', $value, true), I
might expect to be able to write "Straße".  That wouldn't apply to
"KRESSE", though, which has to be written as "Kresse".  See also
<https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Case_folding>.

--
Christoph M. Becker