Hi,

I experimented with PCRE2 and created
https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/2857 . So far the implementation
covers all the core functionality depending on libpcre. It adds no new
userland features, only the existing functionality is mapped for now.
The internal API is to the big part compatible, though some changed
accordingly to the new requirements. Some internal refactoring is yet
ongoing to have a cleaner and better tuned patch.

Perhaps it's time to move to PCRE2, as PCRE is an ancient bugfix only
version. If done, of course it'll create a certain hurdle for non core
and older distro versions, but in return we get a modern API which
allows for better maintanance, security and opens the door for new
features. Regarding performance - from what i could observe PCRE2 is at
least not slower. The PR shows, that PCRE2 can serve same way PCRE does.

I'd suggest to integrate PCRE2 into 7.3. Will go for an RFC, if necessary.

Regards

Anatol