> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 10:55 AM, Niklas Keller <m...@kelunik.com> wrote:
> > it's the current practice to tag releases publicly two days before
> release
> > and then do the final QA phase. Could we please stop that?
> >
> > If there's a mistake that needs to be fixed and that's detected within
> these
> > two days, a re-tag needs to happen. If the old tag is deleted and a new
> > modified tag is published, all cloned Git repositories that already
> received
> > the old tag will keep the old tag and never receive the new tag unless
> the
> > old tag is manually removed first. That's problematic.
> >
> Agreed that tags shouldn't be moved once pushed, but is assigning a
> new version tag really that terrible?

No, that'd be fine, too. But IIRC there have been re-tags instead of new
tags before.

> Example: php-7.2.0 tag was just pushed by Remi for the release on
> Thursday.  If we do find a show-stopper bug, we can patch it and push
> php-7.2.0-pl1 or whatever.

That "or whatever" should probably be covered in the release process
document(s).

> Not a hill I need to die on either way, but I don't see the early push
> as necessarily a bad thing. Indeed, I know there are users who look
> forward to the early tag to start their builds ahead of time.  These
> parties then serve as a warning shot for that two-day cooling period.
> Could they build from branch before then? Yeah, but in at least one of
> those cases, I know that the presence of that tag is what got them
> doing it in the first place.

Correct, the tags are there, so people use them.

> If there won't be a re-tag but a new tag name instead, there's no reason
> > not see the tagging as release instead of the release announcement two
> days
> > later.
> >
> Apart from the windows builds, and those pre-builders mentioned above.
>
> > If tags are necessary for the final QA phase and the QA phase should
> happen
> > before release, then these tags shouldn't be public, but in a private
> > repository instead. If tags aren't necessary, then the QA phase can use a
> > different tag or just a commit reference and the release announcement can
> > happen directly after the tagging.
> >
> Okay, that's a reasonable middle ground.  We could tag as
> php-X.Y.Z-something Tuesday, then tag again as php-X.Y.Z on Thursday.
> That would only add one step to the release process at the minor cost
> of having more tags. *shrug*

Why not just use the release branch instead of tags for that phase? I don't
think having a lot of these useless tags is a good thing.

Regards, Niklas