On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 3:08 PM, Alexei Gerasimov <encla...@safe-mail.net>
wrote:

> I don't think we should be worried about changes _other_ projects would
> have to make to cope up with language evolution lest it becomes an
> (unnecessary and surrogate) obstacle. My vision is that if some
> company/group produces an IDE, it is but natural to expect them to be ready
> to adapt to language changes.

I agree, because our parser is open source like everything else in PHP.
IDEs can likely just generate one from ours with minimal effort. However,
it isn't the IDEs I'm worried about. It's the end-users of the language
that will struggle the most. Let's not forget PHP 5 has been around for
over a decade before PHP 7 even showed up. There are still a lot of old
code basis that've been running in PHP 5 for years. And for large code
basis with deep rooted legacy, it is no short order to make the leap.
Change for the sake of change won't help that.