Hi,

I would like to propose a function for high resolution monotonic timing. There
was discussions about this before and a PR
https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/2368 which has issues and was abandoned.
I've filed https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/2976 with some reworked
implementation.

A monotonic timer can be usable in several situations besides benchmarking.
Having a simple functionality like this in the core should be a useful
addition. The current approach is a function returning array of [seconds,
nanoseconds] and optionally returning full nanosecond number as int on 64-bit
or float on 32-bit. The first way is the most portable. Quite a few platforms
are already supported by the current implementation.

IMHO it should be fine to have a function like this in the core, perhaps also a
few helper functions could be useful, too. I would like to pursue 7.3 with
this. Please lets check for any concerns in general or with implementation,
naming, etc.

Regards

Anatol